Inspired by 2017’s Shard Lights display, the installation in London Bridge station encourages commuters to look up at the night sky.
Situated on the lower London Bridge station concourse, the digital Christmas tree reveals some of the patterns you’ll see in the London skyline whenis launched on the evening of Monday 4th December.
Standing at 18ft tall, it is made up of 26 digital screens displaying a series of Shard Lights effects against a backdrop of snowflakes. The design re-imagines the classical Christmas tree form, with a structure based on The Shard’s iconic spire – creating an illusion of depth using colours and glass.
Over four million commuters are set to pass by it on their way to and from work, with travellers encouraged to take pictures of the Shard Lights installation and share using #ShardLights.
“London Bridge station is the fourth busiest in the UK, and an important hub for The Shard occupiers and visitors. We hope the tree inspires both commuters and visitors to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of London over the festive period – and look at up at the city skyline to enjoy Western Europe’s highest light show – Shard Lights.”
“We’re very happy to be working with The Shard to host this unique and exciting Christmas tree. We are always looking for ways to surprise and delight station users and I hope they will be impressed to see this level of creative design and innovation in the station.”
The tree will be at London Bridge station from 1st-22nd December 2017.
Christmas dates for your diary at The Shard and London Bridge
• Look up at the night sky to see Shard Lights from Monday 4th December at 7.30pm till dawn on New Year’s Day.
• Dine beneath. Designed by Lee Broom in collaboration with glassware brand Nude, the tree will raise funds for British Red Cross.
• Joinat 18:30 on Wednesday 6th December as they reveal their new festive installation with beautiful decorations, the sound of bells and carols and the scent of mulled wine.
• Watch aat The View from The Shard on Tuesday 12th December at 8pm
• Drink citrus botanical cocktails in the, complete with telescopes to look up at the night sky or spy on the city below.
• Enjoy a festive feast at Shangri-La’s TING restaurant. To book visitor call +44 (0) 207 234 8000.
• Find your perfect Glenfiddich serve attill 21st December.
• Shop atwith handmade crafts from 68 independent traders, pop-up food stalls and bars serving Christmas cocktails, mulled wine, hot cider and craft beers.
• With views of The Shard,this Christmas until 2nd January.
• Enter the #ShardLights Photography Competition by Sunday 7th January 2018.